Thursday, August 16, 2012

looking back only to enhance looking forward

Remembering what I wrote on the airplane, moving to Canada 2 years ago. It was hard to leave home and difficult to enter into a new culture but I am encouraged by the excitement and hope I held for the future. God always has us in the place that is most right for us. 




The sun soaks my face and it is radiant. It seems to penetrate the ice-cracked window that so fragilely separates me from the altitude of 30,000 feet and unfathomable, choking cold. Up here as I lay my face on the window, letting the sun blind me because I love it, I can see everything. I see the clouds below me and when they part, I see ice and land and more icebergs than is imaginable. They really are like a fleet of sailboats drifting, ever so steadily, to their unknown destination. They look lazy and viscous all at once. Up here I can see the white peaks and the cold, almost marine blue of the lower part of the iceberg, the part that isn't visible down there. It is the same blue that you sometimes see on the upper part of the windshields on minivans in Canada, which is where we are going. "Going home" I said earlier. Maybe if I start calling it that now, it will feel more like it quicker.

Up here I can also look across at a vast "floor" of cloud - solid and yet completely capable of suddenly being opaque. I keep thinking about cheesy Jesus films where you see him walking across the moving clouds in billowing white robes. And I keep wishing it will come true. And it has. God is here, sitting beside me, in the hearts of varying people on this plane, even walking towards me on the clouds. And he is smiling, saying, "Come, Katy. Come home." And I am coming. What is most beautiful to me is that I can find God anywhere and he is home to me. As I gazed into the Sun, I could feel his presence so strongly - soothing, gentle, encouraging and I was so overwhelmed by his blessings that continue and evolve into even greater blessings. How dear he is to me, how precious a friend. I also felt his strength take my weakness and hammer it down, refine it in his flame of power and pour the scalding hot, melting liquid into my body. His energy, flowing through my veins, pulsing with heat and excitement, churning with the quick pain of surrendering and once cooled, refreshing me with the steady promise that comes with being surrendered. Then my mind was filled with ideas and prayers and hopes for my new year, a year that is dedicated fully to God's glory. I prayed for many things for friends, family, for myself... and then I smiled. I want all of those to come true. I want my friends to have joy, truth, courage, to make wonderful, new friends. I want my parents to be welcomed home, to feel they belong and to impact those around them. I want Bethany to love every minute of her music, to treasure her best friends and the love they pour into her. I want a job, I want a friend. And then the most reassuring thought: If none of those come true, I have hope and a love that will never wax and wane, a love that is selfless and doesn't need anything, not even me. But HE wants ME. So much. And I realize the basic thing, the only thing I really want or need is the strength to follow his will totally and completely. After that all things will fall into their proper place. But my heart must also be in its proper place. And that is my goal for this year.

I asked God if he could just take this plane in his fingers and pull it right up to Him and he said not yet. And I don't really want that. Not because I don't want to see him, not because it isn't my greatest desire but because I have life, energy, strength in my blood, and it is not my own. It is a gift and I want to share it. I no longer want to be ashamed of the gospel sometimes but so proud of my faith at other times. I no longer want to be constrained and stifled by my human desires, ambitions, conscientiousness and fear. I want to be God's. And he who began a good work in me is faithful to complete it. What a promise, what a hope to cling to. So I will give, and God will replenish. My dad just reminded me of the verse God gave me for this year. Paul says he has found the secret for being content in all situations. I'm not sure what the secret was but I have found one. For me, the secret of being content is loving my eyes because Jesus is looking out of them. When Jesus is no longer confined to just my heart but he is living in each and every part of me... speaking through my mouth, touching through my hands, listening through my ears, loving selflessly through my heart, seeing through my eyes, THEN, then will I have found the secret. Now I must only begin living like I have found it. And what a perfect opportunity, a new season, fresh life, to begin. To begin the journey that never stops. To follow on the road, to step in the footsteps of my LORD.

When I see the "invisible" part of the icebergs, I wonder if that is what God feels like, looking down on us, seeing all of us that is not visible on earth - knowing the good, knowing the bad and loving us. I see him getting so excited to start chiseling away on that block of ice, to create something beautiful, without blemish and as he works, revealing it fully, showing every part, complete and incomplete, to the world. And they are blinded by its beauty. Not because it is perfect, but because it is flawed and willing to be reformed.




Here's to a future full of goodbyes and an eternity full of hellos.

No comments:

Post a Comment