Monday, June 6, 2011

"Faith is conversion: it is the radically new disposition of the man who stands naked before God and has been wholly impoverished that he may procure the one pearl of great price; it is the attitude of the man who for the sake of Jesus has lost his own soul. Faith is the faithfulness of God, ever secreted in and beyond all human ideas and affirmations about HIm, and beyond every positive religious achievement. There is no such thing as mature and assured possession of faith: regarded psychologically, it is always a leap into the darkness of the unknown, a flight into empty air. Faith is not revealed to us by flesh and blood: no one can communicate it to himself or to any one else. What I heard yesterday I must hear again today; and if I am to hear it afresh tomorrow, it must be revealed by the Father of Jesus, who is in heaven, and by Him only."

-Karl Barth, The Epistle to the Romans. Written after WWI, a time when man was seemingly powerless and frail when only a few years prior, modern philosophy praised and uplifted man as nothing shy of God.

He makes me think every time and today I am refreshed by his beautiful thoughts on faith and how little we truly know about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment